Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Autumn Squash

Yellow summer squash tastes good in any season. My mother often planted a garden and always made sure she had plenty of yellow summer squash. Her favorite way to cook them was to slice them thin and pan fry them according to these ingredients:
  • Yellow summer squash
  • Butter (to taste)
  • Onions (sweet yellow), chopped fine
  • 1-2 T sugar
  • Salt and pepper (to taste)
  • Wash the squash well, and slice thin.
Put all ingredients into pan. Barely cover with water and boil until vegetables are soft. Serve while hot, or place in freezer containers and put in the freezer for a later time.
My squash garden

Close up photo of my squash garden

My second HUGE squash from the garden the first week of October!

The one that grew quickly!
There is a story that goes with the one that grew quickly. I have a square foot garden, and we have had to water it constantly through the heat of summer. The first squash was good but not very big. I had been noticing that the squash looked so scrawny. My husband added a netting over the garden, and it seems like within only a couple of days the squash took off on a growing spurt. Water and sun are good for a garden, but the desert heat can wipe out a garden if you don't have adequate covering, at least in the case of my squash garden.

No comments: